14 April 2008

History of U.S. Tea

Hello my fair friends! I am a fairly infrequent writer, it seems. :)

I apologize for the lack of tea-ness lately, but I went on a coffee kick. I drank so much that I ended up stopping for a certain period of time we in the Christian world refer to as "Lent". It was a good experience. In any case, I haven't the faintest idea why I've mentioned nothing of tea lately.

However the Fates would not be denied ("it was in the tea leaves", etc., etc.), and coming across a certain article provoked me to active writing. You can access it by simply clicking on the title of the entry.

The reasons for this provocation are threefold:
a) It's good to see it around;
b) I enjoy historical things;
c) it explains in greater detail what I mentioned in a previous entry about the problem of tea-drinking in America, namely how it seemed to be a subject of tacit disgust for so long.

Some things that I found particularly notable in the beginning of the article (for those who don't want to scour through its length and crude publishing quality):

- tea was introduced to America not by the British, but by the Dutch
- "Colony consumption of tea dwarfed that of the parent country England."


This makes very convincing the statement, "Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater." As one can see, the rebellion against tea could indeed be an unnecessary hold-over of the rightful patriotism of we the people. The rebellion was against the tax on the tea, not because we ought to dislike the product or refuse the product's introducer to this country.

The moral of this entry: If you wish to rebel against the Dutch, by all means avoid thy tea consumption; however, if you want to be a true original Patriot, outdo the British and drink more tea than they. :)

More to follow, I promise...

All the best,
Michael


***
Quote For Pondering:

"I slipped you $50 of cash money." - Joe Morgan

No comments: